Tuesday, April 17, 2012

PB's

Here is the thing with PB's.  I like them but I haven't had one in years.  I haven't had one since before I had kids!  That means it's been over 6 years since I've PB'd anything.  Crazy!  For some people this would be reason to give up running (I'm not that much of a drama queen).  I am getting closer to my old times but they are still a long ways away.  This got me thinking about the fact that I am not running in the same body I was 6 years ago.  And it's not the pregnancies that have made the drastic changes, they certainly factor in but it's the Celiac Disease that seems to have permanently altered my system.  Hard work will get me back to setting some PB's but it's still a long road.  I'm still learning how to properly fuel my system and how to help it recover.  While it was undiagnosed I had some of my all time worst runs.  The kind of runs that you walk home from, sit on the step and cry.  Since being diagnosed the runs have gotten worlds better.  I've also learned that appropriate hydration is not optional.  Dehydration is my biggest enemy.  I carry water on even my shortest run on the treadmill and anything over 45 minutes outside.  I can get a second wind on a run now.  When things start to go badly, I can take a short walk/water/gel and get going again.  Before when things went badly there was nothing I could do to fix it.  Oddly the recoveries are much easier, my legs continue to surprise me.  I'm so much less sore than ever after a long run.  So factoring in the massive change in my body I'm declaring all my old PB's void and resetting everything to PCPB's, Post-Celiac PB's.  This is the new body I have to run with and it should be allowed to set it's own PB's!  Not that I don't want to try and chase down my old PB's but I don't want to minimize the awesome improvements that have come in the last few years since being diagnosed either.  So bring on the challenges! 


No comments:

Post a Comment