Wednesday, January 11, 2012

To Edit Or Not To Edit

Photoshop has become a daily debate for me.  There is a very big part of me that is very anti-photoshop.  I don't want to give a picture back to the client that is not an accurate reflection of them.  BUT isn't it part of my job to give you back a photo that reflects who you see in the mirror?  Those two images don't always match up!  Where do you draw the line between acceptable editing and fantasy editing?  I don't know where that line is but so far I definitely err on the side of caution.  The primary criticism of my work so far is that I don't take out the wrinkles.  And it's true, I've taken out bruises and blemishes but I've never taken out a wrinkle.  Why not?  I don't know.  Part of me is rebelling against the whole "wrinkles are bad" advertising campaign that every cosmetic company is making their money on.  Part of it is that I love your wrinkles.  Wrinkles show me the experiences you have had in life.  I don't need to be able to read palms, I can read your face.  And it's beautiful.  


I have a set of portraits that I am currently editing and I'm torn on the wrinkles.  They are wonderful, they are from smiles, tears and life.  But will I get repeat business if I don't eliminate a few, soften them up or take them all out?  I don't know.  It's a risk I have to decide on for my business.  


Photo editing definitely has it's place.  I've adjusted exposure, colours that were faded, turned a colour picture black and white or sepia or any range in there.  I've even taken an ugly sign out of a landscape and I don't see a problem with any of those.  I am not going to make your boobs bigger or your ass smaller though!  


It's faces that I am stumbling on.  Faces are so sensitive.  I don't feel like I should be straightening a nose but I'm okay with taking out blemishes.  I don't want to take your wrinkles out but I want you to smile when you get your pictures.


It's something that I need to find my comfort zone on and it's not simple.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't mind seeing the wrinkles. I am almost 37 and I have them. Everyone knows they're there. Why hide them in a picture?

    Stay true to your philosophy Jenn!

    ReplyDelete